The Safety Strategic Work Team (SWT) established organization-based strategies to direct and guide the team’s efforts.
ASPAN will be its member's indispensable resource for perianesthesia education and knowledge exchange worldwide.
- Publish articles in the Breathline and JoPAN
- Present safety content on the ASPAN Web site and through education programs
- Provide a forum to share perianesthesia practice experiences through SBAR reporting
ASPAN will be the influential force for perianesthesia patient safety, public policy and practice standards.
- Partner with external organizations/institutions to explore safety initiatives; represent the safety interests of perianesthesia practice
- Collaborate with the Clinical Practice Committee and Standards & Guidelines SWT on an ongoing basis to address current safety issues
- Advise legislative/regulatory officials on issues surrounding perianesthesia nursing (e. g., mandatory staffing ratios, regulatory proposals, alternative approaches to safety goals)
ASPAN will be the recognized voice and source of perianesthesia information to the public.
- Disseminate “lessons learned” using the Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation (SBAR) reporting technique
- Actively engage in the Council on Surgical and Perioperative Safety (CSPS) and the Surgical Care Improvement Project (SCIP) to voice perianesthesia related safety practices
The art and science of perianesthesia nursing will be advanced through ASPAN's evidence based practice and research activities.
- The Safety SWT collaborates with the Research Committee and Evidence Based Practice SWT to support safety related research and related evidence based practice as well as assisting in the dissemination of findings
Back to Safety in Practice