The Nurse in Washington Internship
The Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) is a Nursing Organizations Alliance (NOA) annual educational offering. This program provides nurses with an opportunity to learn advocacy strategies to further professional nursing and healthcare concerns through the legislative and regulatory processes. NIWI participants are given an opportunity to learn from health policy experts and government officials, network with nurses from many geographical locations and disciplines, and visit members of Congress.
ASPAN offers active members the opportunity to apply for a NIWI Scholarship each year.The annual deadline for scholarship applications is July 1.
For more information please visit Nursing Organizations Alliance - Nurse in Washington Internship Program, or contact NOA headquarters at 859-514-9157, email szach@AMRms.com.
Information for those who attend the Nurse In Washington Internship (NIWI):
- Work ahead of time and go prepared!
- Take advantage of training materials that NOA provides to all registrants.
- Meetings with your House Representative and Senators must be scheduled ahead of time.
- Arrive to each meeting with a clear message. Legislators (or his/her respective legislative assistant) will ask for your solutions to the problem identified. Offer professional examples relating to the issue; have pertinent thoughts and ideas written and available for reference.
- Business attire is a must.
- Business cards are preferred. Be sure to have a supply of cards available for use.
- NIWI begins on a Sunday with sessions held through Tuesday. Attendees generally arrive on Saturday night or early Sunday morning and depart after a closing reception held late Tuesday afternoon.
- During the Sunday welcome session, each attendee gives a personal introduction to include her/his home state and specialty nursing organization.
- NOA coordinates informational telephone conference calls prior to the NIWI meeting. Attendees have an opportunity to network and coordinate Capitol Hill visits with others from the same state.